Monday, January 5, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire=Brilliant





What are you doing reading this blog, log off your computer, get out of your house and go see this movie! I have a couple more movies that i need to go see before the Oscars but I really want to say that this was the best movie i have seen all year and in the last couple of years!!

Josh and I decided to venture out in the snow recently to go see this movie not knowing much more then that it's about a man from Mumbai India who goes on the tv show "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?". Needless to say, 2 1/2 hours in and many tears later, i walked out of the movie theater with a full heart and geeky grin on my face. Visually the film is a gem, filmed in Mumbai and around India. Director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) directs the film of his life.

It's about a boy, Jamal who grew up in the slums of Mumbai to go on to be a real competitor to win on the tv show who wants to be a millionaire. The Indian police are certain that Jamal is cheating his way through the show. Jamal protests that against the odds, he knew the answers because each question had a bearing on his own life and they began to flashback thru the many adventures and challenges Jamal faced growing up in a poverty stricken area of Mumbai.

If there's one thing that this movie has in abundance its 'Life'. They shot in the real slums, with real kids and the camera captures everything. The visuals are so warm, so full of energy, chaos, love and color.

Don't worry ladies, the movie ties in a great love story as well. I won't give anything away but please email me your comments on the movie, i would love to discuss with you!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Saw it. Loved it. Thought it was heartfelt and wonderful.

Wasn't expecting the dancing at the end but liked it all the same.

This is a movie to watch again. I felt like it missed so much the first time because I was following the story but if I were to watch it again I think it would wash over me more fully.

Shannon said...

This was my favorite movie in a long time - my pic for best picture of the year!